Dongyu Gatsal Ling
Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo’s vision for Dongyu Gatsal Ling is to give young nuns of the Drukpa Kagyu lineage the opportunity to realize their intellectual and spiritual potential after so many centuries of neglect and to reinstate at the Nunnery the ‘Togdenma‘ (yogini) tradition. The Nunnery was named ‘Dongyu Gatsal Ling’ by the Spiritual Director His Eminence the 9th Khamtrul Rinpoche Shedrup Nyima. It means ‘Garden of the Authentic Lineage’ and was chosen because ‘Dongyu Nyima’ was the name of the previous Khamtrul Rinpoche, who was Tenzin Palmo’s personal Guru.
The emphasis of DGL Nunnery is to:
- Provide a programme of study, meditation and service.
- Train nuns in integrating their daily life and work with Dharma principles.
- Encourage a life based on monastic vows and communal harmony and eventually to reintroduce the bhikshuni (higher monastic) ordination.
- Re-establish the precious ‘Togdenma’ (yogini) tradition of the Drukpa Kagyu lineage and train some nuns as teachers in meditation.
- Prepare some of the nuns who undertake higher philosophical studies to become teachers or professors.